- The arresting comparison above is of the main Chinese stock market index with the Japanese one, and comes via Sober Look.
- ConservAmerica is an organization trying to make the Republican Party greener and promote the conservative tradition of environmental protection. I don't fully agree with their positions, but it still seems worthy to be trying to bring the GOP to a more sane place on the environment than it currently is in.
- Sea ice minimum in? Staring at this graph, that looks like it could well be right, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a last little jog down.
- Scientist Julienne Stroeve just came back from a voyage through the sea ice and reported they could only find one floe big enough to moor to, and that one broke in half while they were moored to it.
- Siemens cutting a third of the jobs in its US wind business due to lack of new orders.
- $4/gallon? Been there, done that.
- Excellent slides from a July 2012 presentation on drought by Aiguo Dai in Beijing. Note Prof Dai says:
Larger warming over land than over ocean leads to - larger PE increases over land than over ocean - increases in water vapor transport from oceans can not match atmospheric demand over land -> drier conditions over land.This is a suggestion I made earlier - but in email I had with him at the beginning of 2012 he didn't confirm it - so I'm happy to see him do so here.
This graph was also particularly interesting - suggesting that recent improvements to latest climate models (CMIP5 vs CMIP3) haven't changed the answer much:
The current dry conditions in the U.S. may last and worsen during the next 20 yrs as the IPO cold phase persists and global warming continues.