Monday, January 2, 2012

Amazon Wish List

Every so often someone contacts me wishing to donate money to the cause of this blog and desiring me to add a tip jar to facilitate that.  On the whole I'd just as soon keep the blog non-commercial since my day job amply covers my family's needs.  However, there are times when I want to buy books but am restrained by the desire to keep the book budget from reaching astronomical proportions.  It occurs to me that this is a way that readers could contribute to the blog and so I've created an Amazon wish list out of the (several years of) deferred items in my cart there.

So if you are one of those people so moved, check it out: there are items ranging from a few bucks into the hundreds for various academic tomes on climate and an astounding $2300 for a used copy of "Sedimentary Basins and Petroleum Geology of the Middle East" (which I would love to have should any of my billionaire readers be so moved).  So there are opportunities to give at any plausible expenditure level. There's also a button over in the right hand sidebar of the blog for long term access to the list.

8 comments:

K.M. said...

Stuart,
This is a great idea for your blog. I am envious as those of us bloggers who live in Colorado cannot use Amazon due to state law.

Just as I love to browse people's bookshelves in their homes, it was fun to check out your list. I've given up on my Amazon wish-list as many books on it have been there for more than five years!

Our wonderful local bookstore has an annual 25% off everything sale the first of each year, and so yesterday I purchased "Plato's Revenge" by William Ophuls, my next book choice.

Happy New Year!

Robert said...

Do you plan to burn
The Ultimate Resource 2 by Julian Simon
or what?

Stuart Staniford said...

Kay - thx and happy 2012 to you too!

Stuart Staniford said...

Robert - :-). Needless to say, I read many things that I mostly don't agree with so I can be sure I've considered an issue from all sides. That particular book I had a copy on loan from a libertarian friend for a year or two but eventually had to give it back and I still find myself wanting to refer to it occasionally.

Lars-Eric Bjerke said...

Stuart,

Kjell Aleklätts, Peeking at Peak Oil, will be published in English and Swedish next month.

Mike said...

Cool! - And we can use it as a reading list, too.
"Energy and the Wealth of Nations" might be one you find worth adding.

John said...

I tried to buy a book for you but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I can buy it for myself, but not for you! Maybe you need to enter your shipping address?

Stuart Staniford said...

John - Thanks! I may have fixed the problem - feel free to email me offline (address in my profile) if further debugging is required.